Affinda uses the UK Standard Occupation Classification (SOC) to classify job titles into standard occupation groupings that can be more easily compared across candidates and roles. The UK classification has been recently updated (in 2020) and provides rich data on the job titles that map into each occupation group to ensure relevant and accurate data for Affinda customers.
The classification system is structured into a four-level hierarchy of increasing granularity.
- Major Group (9 groups)
- Sub-Major Group (26 groups)
- Minor Group (104 groups)
- Unit Group (412 groups)
Each group has a code associated with it. For example:
- 8 = Major Group: Process, Plant and Machine Operators
- 82 = Sub-Major Group: Transport and Mobile Machine Drivers and Operatives
- 821 = Minor Group: Road Transport Drivers
- 8212 = Unit Group: Bus and Coach Drivers
For more information on the Standard Occupation Classification system used, see here. You can also return all Occupation Groups using our API\ using the GET /occupation_groups end-point.